Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Happy 1/2 Year Birthday!!!

Wow...so Brooklyn is half a year old today!!! She celebrated by going to see Dr. Ferreris! She got an excellent report, except her weight took a dip again (a dip on the weight curve that is...she should have nearly 14lbs if she kept in her percentile)...so he wants to see her back in a month to weigh her. She weighed 13lbs 1oz, 25 1/2 inches long and her head is now 16.7cm! Other than that...he said she looked great! He commented several times on what a happy and social baby she is!! He also told us that she may never like to be on her stomach because she is so social...and social babies love to be able to see the things around them, so we shall see if she learns to like it or not.
- - - - -
He also talked to us about starting her on the stage 1 baby foods (because we have still only given her rice and oatmeal cereal). He had a medical resident with him today and they both explained to us how the teachings are changing. They used to think that you needed to wait until after 6 months to start foods, but new studies are showing that there is this ideal window of opportunity between 4-6 months to start foods...so it lessens the babies allergies later in life. We however, have obviously waited until 6 months...but she just had her first green beans and actually seemed to really enjoy them!!! She seemed to like them a little better mixed with her oatmeal (gross, I know)...but swallowed really well!!! So maybe this is why she has been pushing the cereal out...she's been saying "come on...give me real food! I want some flavor!!" Dr. Ferreris really wants us to get her introduced to all the Stage 1 foods so she can start getting more calories...and of course, I am still breastfeeding after her meals and in between...so basically it just adds a step in our daily life.
- - - - -
My Mom pierced my ears when I was 4 months old...and have been grateful for that because I have always had earrings! She figured that at some point I would want them done (luckily I do like them) and so might as well do them early! I had the same though process for Brooklyn...so after we got Daddy's consent...we decided to go for it! Also...doing them when they are babies usually makes them adapt better to them and they don't mess with them...that is our hope. She hasn't really discovered her ears yet...so when she does she will just assume her earrings are part of her! Brooklyn Jean was a champ! She cried way less than she did with her shots...and was completely done crying by time they were done. We think she looks pretty... (not that she wasn't before!!), but they just add a touch of girliness!!
We celebrated in our PJ's when I woke up...

...and in the afternoon when we got home
Tillie's hat matched my outfit quite well, if I must say so myself...


See my pretty new earrings...
Hey...who says shots keep you from jumping??
Yummy yummy green beans!!

2 comments:

Gina Yokley said...

fun! She is just such a doll with those earings in! And I am laughing (like, geeze...can't they make up their minds!) at the 4-6 months window... it's funny how things are always changing. It seems like you guys are going at a great pace for her, she's a lucky girl to have such good parents! Rowan can't WAIT to see her little Boopin. They'll be running around and playing together so soon!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got Daddy to agree!! She looks so cute with her earrings.