Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day


That is what today feels like. I'm not sure why...but NOTHING has gone well for Brooklyn...so it brought back memories of this childhood book. Her day started with spit up sweet potatoes on her sheets...pleasant. Poor thing...she must have been sleeping in them. We got up, ate, jumped...had a grand time. Then came time for a nap and that was a different story. I laid her down and she slept for a few minutes and then she woke up. I walked in her room and I could tell (smell) that she had done something. Needless to say the sweet potatoes had come out both ends...and she even had some in her ear!! So we got a fresh diaper...rocked and sang for nearly 30 minutes and she was still a very unhappy camper.

Can we say SLEEPY??

I was planning on taking a shower and getting ready during her nap...but that didn't happen. So, we gave the swing a try...so I could at least go get dressed. The swing didn't seem to appease her either. So...we ate some more sweet potatoes (we are still in the process of introducing new foods to her...thus the constant meal of sweet potatoes), I nursed her...and we left. She had a 3 o'clock appointment with her neurosurgeon today for a follow-up appointment on her head. So a nap would have been in her favor. Of course, she was asleep before we got out of the neighborhood. I told my Mom I just should have driven around for 2 hours earlier.



So...the good news of the day! Brooklyn's head is better!! Last time the doctor said her plagiocephaly (flat spot) was very very mild...5mm. Today she said that it was only about 3mm and didn't think she needed a helmet...woohoo!! She told us the helmets rarely get it perfect...usually around 2mm, so why would we put her through that?!? She said she just expected it to get better or stay the same...but definitely not worse, so that was very good news. I also asked the doctor about cranial massage or craniosacral therapy (I read it is a more homeopathic way of treating such conditions)...she told me that was for crazy people in California and didn't work...haha. Some more good news...she weighed 14lbs 2oz...hopefully that will make Dr. Ferreris happy! She goes to see him next week for a weight check.



Then, Mommy had to go and make her day worse. The neurosurgeon that our pediatrician sent us to is in the pedi specialty group and I knew they had a hematologist in their group. So I asked her if she knew anything about VonWillebrand's disease (I was diagnosed when I was 5...it is a pseudo-hemophilia...I have NEVER had any problems). So, she went and got the hematologist (luckily he was available). He met with us...asked us questions...said they usually suggest testing after the child is 6 months...and went ahead and tested her!! My Mom and I were totally impressed that they didn't even want us to make another appointment and that they made time for us!! Stars in our book!! ...but not Brooklyn's. She has had her heels pricked...but they actually drew blood from her. Poor thing had a tourniquet, needle, vials of blood...the whole nine yards. Now...watching her go through that was heart wrenching!!! She was a champ though and left with a Hello Kitty band-aid. Cousin Gracie would be jealous!! (probably not...who would want one if they had to give blood to get it!!)

Shelby tried to kiss me and make it better...it did make me laugh


She slept as soon as we got in the car and the whole way home! Luckily dinner was uneventful...but she hasn't wanted to go to sleep tonight...so Daddy is in there giving it a whirl. I gave it my all and needed a break...so here I sit, updating you on Brooklyn's crummy day. It really hasn't been that awful...but not her best. Thankfully tomorrow is a new day and she won't remember today.

1 comment:

melimba said...

oh wow, we've had days like that. I don't know, but maybe she could be teething---Matilda is on her very best behavior when that happens---NOT! :)
but, then again, with the spitup and other end fun stuff---maybe her little tiny tummy was upset. Either way = NO FUN!
I'm glad it got better. When do you find out the results of that test?? Just curious!